Spring is in the air here in Middle Georgia and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Air Concepts of Middle Georgia team has some recommendations that will assist in keeping your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home seem as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your fabulous vacation on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as excited about the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Air Concepts of Middle Georgia in Middle Georgia a call at 478-200-5689.