According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask Air Concepts of Middle Georgia in Milledgeville and Middle Georgia about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Air Concepts of Middle Georgia. A yearly evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts open.
More ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and switch them out when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Milledgeville and Middle Georgia home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Air Concepts of Middle Georgia at 478-200-5689 or schedule an appointment online.