These days, homes are well sealed to keep heating and cooling indoors. While this helps with energy efficiency, inadequate fresh air, indoor pollution and continuous recirculation can cause problems.
You can rest easy, though, since Air Concepts of Middle Georgia can help you have an energy-efficient home that’s also comfortable. Our services include an air quality audit, air duct cleaning and products to help improve indoor air quality in Milledgeville and Middle Georgia, Georgia.
Call us at 478-200-5689 today to get started improving your home’s indoor air.
Signs Your Home Has Poor Indoor Air Quality
Is your home healthy? It may not be as fresh as you think. Pollution is often two to five times more concentrated indoors than outdoors, as reported by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Indoor air pollution moving with your home’s air can lead to headaches and allergy symptoms. And mold and mildew can provoke a variety of health concerns.
While many of these symptoms may be caused by other issues, they can be indicative your home has indoor air quality (IAQ) problems. This is particularly true if you recover while you’re away from home.
- Dry eyes, nose, throat or skin
- Headaches and sinus issues
- Allergies or asthma symptoms that are worse than normal
- Coughing and sneezing
- Dizziness or nausea
An outdated heating and cooling system will sometimes be a contributing factor in indoor air quality problems, particularly if it’s struggling to filter air, control humidity or keep temperatures stable.
Here are a few other signs you might need to refresh your indoor air:
- Excessive static or mold growth
- Excessive dust
- Stuffy or musty odors
How Can I Prevent Indoor Air Quality Problems?
Avoiding indoor air quality problems can be relatively simple with the following 10 simple tips:
- Plan an indoor air quality audit with Air Concepts of Middle Georgia. We’ll test areas that affect air quality, such as humidity, carbon monoxide and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Then we’ll review any problems we find and how you can resolve them.
- Clean consistently to control dust mites, which can exacerbate allergies and asthma.
- Keep your home free of secondhand smoke.
- Get a whole-home filtration system to get rid of odors, instead of concealing them with air fresheners or scented candles. The pollutants include chemicals that can cause headaches or irritate respiratory symptoms.
- Vent gas-burning appliances, including stoves and water heaters, outside.
- Keep your home’s humidity levels balanced with a humidifier or dehumidifier, based on your needs. Put humidity under 50% to restrict mold and mildew growth.
- Assess your home for radon. Long-term exposure to this invisible radioactive gas is the leading cause of lung cancer for nonsmokers, as stated by the EPA. You can buy a radon test kit online or get in contact with your state radon program for information on discounted or free kits.
- Implement a ventilation system to replace contaminated indoor air with fresh outdoor air.
- Choose natural cleaning and painting materials that are low in or free of VOCs. Elevated levels of VOCs can aggravate symptoms for family members with respiratory illnesses.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors right outside bedrooms.
Start Enjoying Cleaner Air Today with Air Concepts of Middle Georgia
With a full team of professionals and indoor air quality equipment, Air Concepts of Middle Georgia can help your family breathe easy. Call us at 478-200-5689 or contact us online today to get started.