Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in Middle Georgia, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at Air Concepts of Middle Georgia can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Air Concepts of Middle Georgia in Middle Georgia a call to begin. Give us a shout at 478-200-5689 or arrange an appointment with us online.